At a glance......
User Review( vote)
Syzygium Jambos/ Rose apple is an evergreen tree of the family Myrtaceae. It is native to Southeast Asia but has been naturalized in India, especially in the state of Kerala, where it is grown both for its fruit and for its medicinal properties. S. Jambos has a long history of use in Indian traditional medicine for the treatment of numerous ailments. The fruit has been used as a tonic for the brain and liver and as a diuretic. The flowers are believed to reduce fever, and the seeds were used to treat diarrhea, dysentery, and catarrh. In South-American cultures, the seeds have additionally been used as an anesthetic, and recent studies have shown S. jambos extracts to have a similar analgesic efficacy to morphine in rats. S. jambos leaf decoctions were also used traditionally in the treatment of diabetes, although some studies have shown leaf extracts to be ineffective as antihyperglycemic agents. In Indian traditional medicinal systems, S. jambos leaves were also used as a diuretic, an expectorant in the treatment of rheumatism; to treat sore eyes; and as a febrifuge. The bark of the S. jambos tree is used to treat asthma, bronchitis, and hoarseness. Cuban healers have also used the root to treat epilepsy. S. jambos leaf extracts have also been shown to possess antiviral activity towards herpes simplex type 1 and type 2 and towards vesicular stomatitis virus.[5,6]
Nutritional Value of Rose Apple
Serving Size: 100 ( g)
|Total Fat||0.3 g||0.86%|
|Dietary Fiber||1.5 g||3.95%|
|Vitamin C||22.3 mg||24.78%|
|Vitamin B3||0.8 mg||5.00%|
|Vitamin A||17 µg||2.43%|
|Vitamin B2||0.03 mg||2.31%|
|Vitamin B1||0.02 mg||1.67%|
|Phosphorus, P||8 mg||1.14%|
|Iron, Fe||0.07 mg||0.88%|
|Zinc, Zn||0.06 mg||0.55%|
|Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)|
|Energy||105 kJ (25 kcal)|
|Vitamin A equiv.||
|†Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults.
Source: USDA Nutrient Database
Health Benefits of Syzygium Jambos
- Antioxidant Benefits - An antioxidant restricts the molecules oxidation which damages the cells because of the production of free radicals which could be eliminated with Selenium, vitamin C, Lycopene, Beta Carotene, Vitamin E, Zeaxanthin and Lutein. Free radicals are the cause of various ailments such as Cataracts, Alzheimer’s disease, Cancer, Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. The leaves of the Rose Apple plant possess hepatoprotective and antioxidant properties. The examination on the leaves for the antioxidant properties shows that it possesses the hepaprotective activity which is comparable to the silymarin drug. The report which was published by American Journal of BioScience summarizes that the barks of Roseapple assist to prohibit the free radicals. As a result, this plant could be studied due to its potential of bioactivity for discovering the efficacy of its use as a medicine.  Jambosine is a type of alkaloid, found in rose apples, that has shown promising results in blocking or regulating the conversion of starch into sugar. This could be a very important development for diabetics and those at risk of developing diabetes. Further research is ongoing about the impact of jambosine on blood sugar control.
- Aid in Digestion - The high fiber content of rose apples makes them very good for regulating the passage of food through your tract, relieving constipation, and more serious health conditions. Also, in traditional medicine, the seeds of rose apples have been used to prevent diarrhea and .
- Prevent Cancer - The active organic compounds in rose apples, combined with vitamin C and vitamin A, have become known as effective cancer prevention treatments. Early research and traditional medical texts claim that prostate and breast cancers are reduced by adding rose apples to your diet.
- Reduce Toxicity - For hundreds of years, rose apple decoctions have been used as a diuretic substance, which helps clear out liver and kidney toxicity, while also boosting the overall health and efficiency of the body.
- Cholesterol and Heart Health - The fiber and nutrient combination in rose apples have shown significant effects on cholesterol levels, leading to a lower risk of atherosclerosis, thereby preventing complications like heart attacks, strokes, and coronary heart diseases.
- Boost Immunity - The active and volatile components in rose apple have been linked to having and anti-fungal effects. Research has shown that it can protect the skin from developing various infections and can boost the strength of the immune system against infectious diseases.
- Fights Free Radical Damage - Rose Apple is rich in Vitamin C which prevents the damage of free radicals, pollutants and toxic chemicals which leads to health ailments such as heart disease, cancer, and arthritis. Free radicals are developed in the body when the body is exposed to the radiation, tobacco or smoke and during the process of breaking down of food. Vitamin C enhances the white blood cells production and also assists in the functioning. As Vitamin C is an antioxidant, it eliminates the oxidative damage and enhances the smooth functioning. It is also believed that Vitamin C effectively boosts the immune system to counteract the colds.
- Reduced Risk of Stroke - The presence of Vitamin C in the Rose Apples lowers the chances of stroke and health ailments such as inflammation, oxidative damage, cardiac health, atherosclerosis, blood pressure, and endothelial health. The research summarizes that the development of plaque in the body results in the stroke or heart attack which could be reduced with the Vitamin C. 22 mg of Vitamin C is obtained from 100 grams of Rose Apple.
- Boost good HDL Cholesterol - Rose Apple is the source of Niacin which is used to add cholesterol. The studies show that Niacin enhances the HDL cholesterol levels and reduces triglycerides and LDL cholesterol.
- Prevent Diabetes - The research has shown that the use of Rose Apple reduces the level of blood glucose by enhancing the activities of carbohydrate metabolic enzymes such as glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase, hexokinase, and glucose-6-phosphatase.
- Prevent Constipation - Dietary fiber in Rose Apple supports the digestive system in the material movement and stimulate stool which is helpful for those having the irregular stools or constipation. It supports healthy weight and reduces the chances of heart disease and diabetes.
- Prevent Muscle Cramping - Rose Apple also possess an adequate amount of potassium which enhances the strength of muscles and reduces the muscle cramps which is lead due to the low level of potassium.
- Skin Health - An adequate amount of Vitamin A and C could be obtained from the Rose Apple which helps to prevent damage from the oxidative stress caused by the poor diet, stress, and pollution. It also reduces the dryness of the skin and reduces the wrinkles
- Prevent Acne - Acne vulgaris is a skin condition which leads to the inflammation caused due to skin infection. The research shows that the leaves of Rose Apple possess anti-acne properties such as anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antibacterial properties. The experiment also shows that the presence of synergic actions results from the antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory activities. Thus, S. Jambos assist in anti-acne activities. This study helps to know about the herbal medicines whereas various clinical trials are being continued. 
- Cure Leaver Damage - Liver damage leads to various liver diseases which are caused due to the excessive consumption of alcohol, anemia, malnutrition, infection and hepatotoxic drugs. The research which was conducted by Gujarat Ayurved University shows that the leaves extract of Rose Apple contains the liver protective agent. It leads to the efficacy in the change in the function of the liver than the disease control group. The efficacy was worthy of comparison to the standard drug.