At a glance......
User Review( votes)
Witch Hazel Uses/ Hamamelis virginiana known as common or American witch-hazel, is a species of witch-hazel native to eastern North America, from Nova Scotia west to Minnesota, and south to central Florida to eastern Texas.[rx] It is a small, deciduous tree growing up to 6 m (rarely to 10 m) tall, often with a dense cluster of stems from its base. The bark is light brown, smooth, scaly, inner bark reddish purple. The branchlets are pubescent at first, later smooth, light orange-brown, marked with occasional white dots, finally dark or reddish brown. The foliage buds are acute, slightly falcate, downy, light brown. Native Americans produced witch hazel extract by boiling the stems of the shrub and producing a decoction, which was used to treat swellings, inflammations, and tumors.[rx]
Uses/ Indications of Witch Hazel Uses
Indicated for Varicose veins, Bruises, Eye pain, Hemorrhoids, Soreness. Hamamelis virginiana is a homeopathic remedy commonly used for varicose veins, bruises, eye pain, hemorrhoids, and soreness. Other indications for its use include a soreness as if bruised. There can also be a scalding sensation on the tongue as if it had been burnt
- Hemorrhoids - Applying witch hazel water to the skin may help to temporarily relieve itching, discomfort, irritation, and burning from hemorrhoids and other anal disorders.
- Minor bleeding - Applying witch hazel bark, leaf, or water to the skin reduces minor bleeding.
- Skin irritation - Applying witch hazel cream seems to relieve mild skin irritation, but not as well as hydrocortisone. Other research shows that applying a specific witch hazel ointment (Hametum) to the skin appears to improve symptoms of skin injury or irritated skin as effectively as a dexpanthenol ointment in children.
- Itchy and inflamed skin (eczema) - Applying a cream containing witch hazel to the skin for 14 days does not seem to improve itchy and inflamed skin in people with moderate eczema. Applying hydrocortisone cream seems to be a more effective treatment option.
- Coughing up blood.
- Eye inflammation.
- Varicose veins.
- Vomiting blood.
- Abortion threatened
- Enteric fever
- Gastric ulcer
- Menstruation disorders
- Pelvic hematocele
- Scapula, rheumatism
- Veins, varicose
- Adults & children 2 years of age and older: Dissolve 5 pellets under the tongue 3 times a day until symptoms are relieved or as directed by a doctor.