At a glance......
User Review( vote)
Angoor Health Benefits/Angoor is a fruit botanically a berry of the deciduous woody vines of the flowering plant genus Vitis. Grapes are known as ‘The Queen of Fruits’, and are categorized into three variants based on their color – red, green, and black/blue. This wonderful and flavorful fruit not only adds vibrancy and appeal to your food but is also very beneficial. Grapes contain immunity-boosting vitamin C, simple sugars that provide instant energy, and antioxidants that are anti-inflammatory. Grapes can be eaten fresh as table grapes or they can be used for making wine, jam, juice, jelly, grape seed extract, raisins, vinegar, and grape seed oil. Grapes are a non-climacteric type of fruit, generally occurring in clusters.
Types of GrapeFruit / Angoor
Grapefruit is a pummelo backcross, a hybrid of pummelo × sweet orange, with sweet orange itself being a pummelo × mandarin hybrid.
The grapefruit is a parent to many hybrids
A Tangelo is any hybrid of a tangerine and either a pomelo or a grapefruit
- 'Minneola': Duncan grapefruit × Dancy tangerine
- 'Orlando' (formerly 'Take'): Bowen grapefruit × Dancy tangerine(pollen parent)
- Fairchild is a Clementine × Orlando hybrid
- 'Seminole': Bowen grapefruit × Dancy tangerine
- 'Thornton': tangerine × grapefruit, unspecified
- 'Ugli': mandarin × grapefruit, probable (wild seedling)
- 'Nova' is a second-generation hybrid: Clementine × Orlando tangelo cross
- The Oroblanco and Melogold grapefruits are hybrids between pummelo (Citrus maxima) and the grapefruit
The grapefruit's cousins include:
- Common sweet orange: pummelo × mandarin hybrid
- Bitter orange: a different pummelo × mandarin hybrid
- Mandelos: pummelo × mandarine (Citrus maxima)
- Hyuganatsu may also be a pumelo hybrid
Nutritional Value of Angoor
Health Benefits of GrapeFruit / Angoor
- Relieves a Migraine - Ripe grape juice is an age-old home remedy for a migraine. So, next time your head feels like splitting, consume a glass of fresh grape juice. This will relieve you of the torturous pain. Having the juice early in the morning without adding water or any type of sweetener will give the best results. The antioxidants present in grapes, like riboflavin, are believed to responsible for curing a bout of a migraine (13).
- Treats Alzheimer’s Disease - Grapes are also helpful in enhancing the health of the brain and delaying the onset of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s. So, consuming grapes regularly can protect you from brain disorders. The polyphenols present in grapes have been found to reduce cognitive decline associated with Alzheimer’s disease in mice, which can be replicated in humans (14).
- Prevents Indigestion - Bloating and burning in the stomach can be cured by consuming a glass of grape juice. This can also prevent dyspepsia (15). Grapes reduce stomach heat, which helps in curing indigestion.
- Fights Breast Cancer - A recent study says that purple colored concord grape juice helps in preventing breast cancer. So, if you want to protect yourself from this deadly disease, make sure that you have a glass of this delicious juice every day. Grapes have antimutagenic and antioxidant properties that are very effective in combating all kinds of cancer and prove to be rather effective against breast cancer (16).
- Prevents Eye Degeneration - They say that our eyes are the mirror of our soul. So, we should take extra care of it, isn’t it? Start consuming grapes to protect this important sensory organ. Grapes are rich in lutein and zeaxanthin that are responsible for maintaining good eye health as we age (17).
- Treats Diabetes - Do you love sugar but are scared of the danger (read diabetes) associated with it? Grapes can be an excellent option. They are sweet and extremely helpful in preventing diabetes. Pterostilbene is a compound present in grapes that helps to lower the sugar levels in the blood, hence preventing diabetes (18).
- Lowers Cholesterol In Blood - Regular consumption of grapes can help in regulating the cholesterol levels in your blood. So, instead of mindlessly opting for products that claim to control cholesterol levels, try including grapes in your diet. The polyphenols found in grape juice, for example in Concord grape juice, help lower the bad cholesterol or Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) levels (19).
- Heals Kidney Disorders - Grapes also help reduce instances of kidney diseases, including stones and other troubles associated with the organ. Grapes help to reduce the acidity of uric acid. They also eliminate the acid from the system, which results in the reduction of pressure on the kidneys (20).
- Relieves As thma - The monsoons and autumn are the most difficult seasons for asthma patients, owing to heavy winds and airborne allergies. Grapes are considered to have a high therapeutic value for asthma. Try consuming them this season and see the difference for yourself. Grapes have a high assimilatory power that helps in increasing the level of moisture present in the lungs and soothing spasms (21).
- Helps Fight Polio And Herpes - Grapes are also known to improve the chances of a speedy recovery from viral infections like polio and herpes. Children who consume grapes regularly have lesser chances of being inflicted by polio. Red grapes exhibit antiviral properties that protect you from various infections like the poliovirus and herpes simplex virus (22).
- Relieves Constipation - Feeling all bloated and constipated because of the yummy spicy chicken you had last night? Have a fruit salad and include grapes for instant recovery. They are thought of as a laxative food as they are rich in sugar, organic acid, and cellulose. They relieve chronic constipation by toning up the stomach (23).
- Weight loss - Taking a specific product containing sweet orange, blood orange, and grapefruit extracts seems to decrease body weight and body fat in overweight people. Some research also shows that eating fresh grapefruit daily increases weight loss in overweight people.
- Eczema (atopic dermatitis) - Early research shows that grapefruit seed extract can decrease constipation, gas, and stomach discomfort in people with eczema. This benefit may be due to the effect of grapefruit on intestinal bacteria.
- High blood fats called triglycerides - Eating one grapefruit per day appears to reduce total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL or "bad") cholesterol, and triglyceride levels in people with high triglyceride levels.
- Lice - Early research shows that applying a shampoo containing grapefruit extract to the hair of children for 10-20 minutes kills lice. Applying the shampoo again 10 days later helps remove any remaining nits.
- Digestive complaints in people with eczema
- Hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis)
- Muscle tiredness
- Preventing cancer
- Promoting hair growth
- Reducing acne and oily skin
- Treating headaches
- Toning the skin
- Yeast infections (as a vaginal douche)